Pages

I have traveled around the world working for powerful fashion designers and PR agencies. Through this blog, I want to document my experiences as I live them. I have learnt so much about the inside world of the fashion industry and this blog will share in my adventures. Warning: I am not a valley girl "OMG no way!" blogger, I enjoy insightful writing... so think of me more as a crazy scientist in the fashion industry who is humble and appreciative of the life I lead!

Thursday 5 May 2011

Finally in NYC! - Obama at Ground Zero!

Obama arrived at ground zero today to pay his respects to the firefighters and families that lost their loved ones and risked their lives on 9/11. Now that Osama has been killed, Obama hopes that the news will bring some kind of closure to the families that have been grieving for so long.

I was lucky enough to make it past the barrier to watch the whole thing go down at ground zero. In fact, U.S.A Today noticed that I had achieved such a great placement in the lineup to where Obama would be arriving that they came over to interview me.


Really, the only reason I got such a great spot is because I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I am staying at the hotel that is right next to ground zero and I could see all the people start to pile into the streets when they heard Obama was making his way to the site. I took a walk outside my hotel and I went into a pizzeria before I tried to fight my way for a spot to stand on the sidelines. I bought a beer and a pizza and when I walked out they had blocked off all other pedestrians behind a barrier, but I was able to stay where I was...next to pizza shop and Firefighters and Emergency Workers that had all been on location at the World Trade for the rescue and recovery of 9/11 victims. I heard some pretty amazing stories of heroic action that took place... I really don't know how they were able to look at so much death and still have a positive attitude today. These guys were really inspiring to listen to!

U.S.A Today also asked me my thoughts on what Canada thinks of Obama's visit to ground zero. I personally think it was the right move, as he is a major representative of the country it only made sense that he visit ground zero after his announcement of Osama's death; undoubtedly the biggest terrorists to have ever scared America into thinking they were indestructible.  I think that the news and the re-visit to the ground zero site will bring closure to the families that lost loved ones that day and it is about time they had some relief.

U.S.A Today also asked me if I think Osama's death means more terrorist attacks in the future. I would have to say that yes, it does mean we are going to be on high alert for a while because Osama's followers will want to retaliate. I hate to think of what that retaliation will entail, but I am hoping that we catch them before any plans are set in motion. All we can do is hope.

All in all, it was a good day for my first day in NYC.

*Also!!! Anderson Cooper is literally on the rooftop next door to me right now on-air with CNN and I just want to hop over there and express my undying love for him and his reporting lol...but I will refrain myself!

*Also, fun fact I learned today - Hilary Clinton is much shorter in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment